Friday, July 16, 2010

Hear ye, Hear ye - Tis Twisted Twins Week!


No, we haven't gone narcissistically insane. This is a proud proclamation made by our friend, Theron Neel, of Slammed & Damned. Starting July 12th, Theron took an in depth look not only at 'Dead Hooker in a Trunk' but all of our other projects, as well as a review of the film and a very fun interview with Jen and I. He says it best himself.


"Welcome to a very special week here at Slammed & Damned. In honor of Jen and Sylvia Soska, those kickass Canadian twins responsible for the recent grindhouse film phenomenon known as Dead Hooker in a Trunk, I hereby declare this to be Twisted Twins Week. Over the next few days, we’re going to be taking an in-depth look at Jen and Sylv’s work. On Wednesday, I’ll be reviewing the new, final cut of Dead Hooker in a Trunk, and on Friday, I’ll have an exhaustive interview with these two vixens from Vancouver. But today, I want to take a look at three short films the Soskas made before their Dead Hooker came to light."







There are been shorts and PSAs that we have worked on. Theron has taken an in depth look at these projects in the first part of his three-part article.


Next, Theron (who has seen the final cut of Hooker, and its previous cut - at the DOA BloodBath Film Fest) goes into a lock, stock, and barrel review of the final cut. He has plenty of lovely things to say that would make even a deceased prostitute blush.

"Over the years, Canada has produced some of the most interesting voices in horror. Bob Clark, David Cronenberg and John Fawcett are just some of the directors to emerge from the Great White North with singular voices and cool films. And with a forceful little flick called Dead Hooker in a Trunk, Vancouver-based filmmakers Jen and Sylvia Soska have pretty much grabbed the indie horror film community by the collar and demanded admission to this boys club. Word to the wise: If I were you, I wouldn’t argue with them. I’ve seen what they can do.

I first saw Dead Hooker in a Trunk a few months ago at a horror film fest. I’d never heard of the movie or its makers, but when I saw that title, I knew it was the one film I had to see that day.

As we sat in the darkened theater and this steamroller of a film plowed over the audience, my companions and I were overwhelmed by the action onscreen. The auditorium filled with gasps and nervous giggles from people that kept peeking at each other with wide-eyed looks that said, “Did they just do that?” When the movie ended, there was a slight pause while everyone oriented themselves, then the room filled with raucous applause. I left the theater knowing I’d just seen something that was as much a statement of purpose as it was an entertainment."

Okay, now go read everything he says in his article and get re-excited about the film! It's reviews like this that reignite one's excitement in film making. I'm very proud to be a part of something that gets people to talking this way. It's a great review for those of you who haven't yet had the chance to see the film or if you are trying to describe it to your friends.




Lastly, comes the interview we had with Theron. 'But, Sylvia' you say, 'I've read your interviews before and you always yap about the same shit. I feel I already know you and Jen well.' To that I say, 'No, I don't!' (defensively) But in all truth, we do talk about some personal stuff that we haven't before so I think you're getting too smart for yourself and should just read the fucking interview already. Here's the juicy intro.

"The Canadian filmmaking team Jen and Sylvia Soska are a pair of identical twins who have made one of the most talked about independent movies of the year. The tale of four people with a cool car and truly terrible luck, Dead Hooker in a Trunk is a bloody, brutal and often funny flick that takes more twists and turns than a snake on hot pavement. With little more than a provocative title and a handful of friends, these two scrappy young ladies went on to write, direct and star in one of the most impressive feature film debuts in recent memory. Recently, during a rare break, the Soskas sat down with Slammed & Damned for a talk about lighthearted violence, creating things you might not expect and, of course, the movie they lovingly refer to as “our Hooker.”"



Mad, crazy, high-fiving, fist-bumping props to our man, Theron Neel, not only for his phenomenal articles, but also for seeing the words 'Dead Hooker in a Trunk' and thinking it was his kind of film. A little hooker can go quite far, but it can only travel the world with support and spreading the word like Theron did. Respect, sir, respect.

xo
~Sylv

No comments:

Post a Comment